PVDF membrane filters possess a high binding capacity for proteins and nucleic acids for Western, Southern and Northern blotting methods.
It is available as sheet, film, piping, plate, and an insulator for wires. PVDF is widely used in the chemical, semiconductor, medical, and defence industries along with Aviation and aerospace sector.
Properties of Tisch Scientific PVDF membranes
- PVDF exhibits piezoelectric and pyroelectric properties as it is a ferroelectric polymer.
- It exhibits high temperature capabilities and ageing resistance.
- PVDF is good to use with alcohols, proteins, weak acids, peptides, and other biomolecules while it must be avoided with strong acids, bases, ethers and ketones.
- PVDF has a low density of about 1.78, and is reasonably priced than other fluoropolymers.
- PVDF membranes are convenient to use and can be stripped easily, as this material is resistant to solvents.
- It has a relatively low melting point of 177 degree Celsius and melts easily
- It has a low critical surface energy and will not get dampen with aqueous fluids.
- It enables easy processing by blow molding, compression, injection and extrusion process.
- It enables high purity fluid transportation.
Applications of PVDF membrane filters
- PVDF possesses properties such as flexibility, low weight, low thermal conductivity, high chemical corrosion resistance, and heat resistance. It is because of combination of these properties that it is used as insulation on various types of electrical wires.
- PVDF is also used to manufacture strain gauges, lightweight transducers and tactile sensor arrays as it possesses advantageous piezoelectric properties. Piezoelectric panels made of PVDF are used on the scientific instrument of a space probe, which is used to measure dust density in the outer solar system.
- PVDF is used to manufacture of fluorocarbon replacements for nylon monofilament. As it is denser than nylon, it can easily sink faster.
- PVDF is used in immunoblotting as artificial membranes in the field of biomedical sciences. Dimension varying between 0.22 or 0.45 micrometers pore sizes, on which proteins are transferred using electricity, is generally preferred for this purpose.
- Lithium ion batteries are also composed of PVDF. As PVDF is chemically inert over the potential range used, and doesn‚Äôt react with electrolytes or lithium, it is used as binder material in the production of composite electrodes for lithium ion batteries.
- Due to its non-specific affinity for amino acids, PVDF membranes are used for western blots for immobilization of proteins.
Tisch Scientific PVDF membrane filters are known to exhibit high efficiency for particle removal. Our PVDF membranes have a low critical surface energy, and are naturally hydrophobic. These PVDF membranes do not get wet with aqueous fluids.
Make your selection wisely from the categorization that follows.
- 47mm PVDF Membrane Filter
- 260mm x 300mm PVDF Membrane Filter
- 142mm PVDF Membrane Filter